5a iv). Explain how to carry out effective classroom questioning.
For one to apply questioning technique adequately, the following should be observed.
- Clarity of expressions: use simple language to the level of the learners which will produce the right response.
- Question on what is within the experience, ability and background of the learners to get response.
- Have an answer in mind.
- The questions should be directed to the whole class leading to the involvement of as many students as possible.
- Sequence questions so that they chart a logical sequence reflecting the development of the lesson.
- Distribute questions evenly among the students.
- Use prompting questions when there is no response or the response is weak.
- Pick on individuals to respond to the questions, use their names.
- Use probing technique to get better response through support questions, clarification, rephrasing use of examples, etc.
- Pause after asking a question for digestion, organization and response from the learners.
- Give credit for effort made by using reinforcement techniques.
- Do not interrupt the learner’s response even if it is wrong.
- Accept correct answers and comment on the wrong ones so that the learners have no doubt as to the correct response.
- Avoid chorus answers and rhetorical questions.