Planning for Teaching
6a iii). Discuss the factors to consider in scheming
- The availability of the syllabus: This will specify the objectives and content to be achieved and taught respectively.It ensures the teacher uses the relevant syllabus in teaching otherwise he/she can end up teaching outdated content.
- The nature of learners : It refers to the level, experience, ability, and background of the learners: What are the present capabilities and knowledge of the learners?
- The teaching/learning environment: This is physical conditions both in and outside the school under which learning takes place. This will determine organizational strategies to be adopted.
- Resources available in the school and the community. They include reference books, charts, maps, pictures, audio media and video clips.
- The nature of the teacher : The ability, teaching style , competency , ability and experience of the teacher will determine how content will be taught.
- The relation between the subject being schemed for and other subjects taught in the school : This will determine the entry-level for students regarding specific topics and depth of the content depending on whether they have covered the similar content at another level.
- The number of lessons assigned for the subject being schemed for in the school timetable. There are some subjects which have three lessons in a week, others have five and others as many as eight.
- The specific time of the day when a particular lesson will be taught: Is it in the morning, midday ,afternoon?
- Assessment of learning: How will the progress of the learners being monitored, assessed and recorded?