Communication in the Classroom
8d i). Explain how a teacher can make his /her speaking skills effective ?
1.By ensuring that the speech :
- has an aim, clarity,and force.
- has content which is exhaustive.
- illustrative and
- ending with a forceful sentence.
2.By checking on the tone of voice which through the speed of delivery, pitch, loudness and voice quality expresses one’s emotions and attitudes in a given situation. The tone must be varied, pronunciations distinctly done and the rate of the speech controlled.
3.Using appropriate language: to bridge the gap between the teacher’s and learner’s language.For instance, the following should be noted:
- Teacher language should be related to a common experience of the learners.
- Provision should be made for new, first-hand experiences, the learner’s encounter in class.
- Student’s should be given ample opportunity to talk and write their way towards understanding whatever experiences they encounter, whether first hand (experiments, visits etc.) or second-hand (through teachers, books etc.).