Communication in the Classroom
8b i). What is a model?
A model is defined as a simplified description of a certain process, phenomenon or reality using diagrams and graphics, done consciously and in a planned manner. There are many models used in communication.
A) Explain the importance of models in communication
- They enable the readers to imagine, understand, appreciate and visualize the abstract.
- They simplify complex processes, making it easier for the researcher to understand.
- They make it easier for researchers to identify and perceive the relationships that exist between and among the systems and components of the communication process.
- They help the researchers to make predictions about the outcomes of certain processes.
B) Highlight two (2) limitations of models in communication
- Impossibility of designing a single model which is holistic, complete and adequate to explain everything in the field of communication.
- Over simplicity of most models overlooking other processes that are equally important in the process of communication.