3a ii).Explain the proper questioning techniques a teacher ought to ensure is used during the teaching process.
For one to apply questioning technique adequately, the following should be observed:
- Clarity of expression: Use simple language and to the level of the audience which will produce the right response(s).
- Question on what is within the experience, ability and background of the learners to get response.
- Have an answer in mind.
- The questions should be directed to the whole group leading to the involvement of as many people as possible.
- Sequence questions so that they chart a logical sequence reflecting the development of the presentation.
- Use prompting questions when there is no response or the response is weak, or the response is partly or completely incorrect.
- Pick on individuals to respond to the questions, use their names.
- Use probing technique to get better response through support questions, clarification, rephrasing, use of examples, etc.
- Pause after asking a question for digestion, organization and response from the learners.
- Give credit for effort made by using reinforcement techniques.
- Do not interrupt the learner’s response even if it is wrong.
- Accept correct answers and comment on the wrong ones so that the learners have no doubt as to the correct response.
- Avoid chorus answers and rhetorical questions