6 c vii). Identify the steps a teacher ought to follow in preparing a table of specification.
How to prepare a table of specification
It can be prepared in the following ways:
- Identify the content area to be covered.
- Prepare a grid chart.
- List the content area to be tested vertically in the chart.
- Across the top of the chart give a breakdown of the six levels of learning.
- Decide on the number of items (questions) to be set in a given content area.
- Decide on the number of items per topic and the appropriate level of testing e.g. Is it knowledge or comprehension.
- Ensure that there is more concentration in the middle levels of learning with a few questions in the lowest (knowledge) and highest level (evaluation). The distribution of questions should form a normal curve.
- Content does not always fail in a single cognitive level, Sometimes it cuts across two or more levels of learning,
- The number of items per learning level depends on the amount of content covered and the proportion of emphasis given during instruction.