4 a iv). Examine the various considerations for a history syllabus.
Consideration for a history syllabus
The designer of history syllabus should have the following points in mind when designing the syllabus:
- Nature, structure and concept of history as a subject.
- Concepts in history as roads lo travel not ideas to be taught.
- Understanding of history horizontal and vertical dimensions,
- Selection of meaningful periodization in terms of importance of events in time perspective
- Learners’ potential, abilities and their understanding of concepts under study.
- Teacher’s academic status, experience and ability to judge when learners are ready to move forward in concept development according to their age and level.
- General methodology in existence i.e. how the syllabus will be operational.
- Nature of learners’historical thinking which is normally slow and disorderly.
- Selection of content that is useful and relevant.
- Time available for the teaching of the content. /
- Resources and facilities available.
- Forms of assessment especially summative evaluation (external • examination).