4a v). Identify the qualities of a good syllabus.
Qualities of a good syllabus
There is no ideal syllabus but a good history syllabus should:
- Facilitate the fulfillment of the objectives of teaching history.
- Be sensible, well-planned, orderly, coherent and a helpful statement of the content of study,
- Be flexible, allowing for periodic revision, reasonable change depending on historical reconstruction. It should be able to meet any particular teaching problem of the individual school.
- Contribute to a full life for the learners.
- Provide a balanced perspective of history avoiding repetition..^ Overlap.
- Be appropriate and convenient to its locality.
- Allow learners to handle a wide range of evidence.
- Offer a balance between local, national and world history so that the three have proportional coverage.
- Include the study of some topics in depth showing clearly the interrelationship of social, economic, political, cultural and technological factors.
- Incorporate a component of contemporary history which gives background to current world affairs, This is important because current events are of primary interest to the younger generation