6a iv).Explain the purposes of summative evaluation.
This type of evaluation has the following purposes:
- To determine the effectiveness and worthiness of a programme, e.g. 8:4:4 in order to make reliable decisions about educational planning in terms of time, humanpower, and other resources.
- To predict the general trend in the teaching/learning process.
- To identify problems that might hinder the achievement of set goals of education.
- To furnish the public (community) with the information concerning school’s performance,
- To provide information to employers in order to determine at what level of education a certificate holder should enter a career
- To select students for further education