6c ii).Give situations in which a teacher should use essay questions in evaluating history and government.
When to use essay questions
They can be used when:
- The group is small.
- The teacher wishes to encourage to the fullest, the development of the learner’s skill in written expression.
- The teacher wants students to organize ideas or to show their creativity
- The evaluator is more interested in exploring the learner’s attitudes than in measuring achievement
- The assessor is more confident of one’s own proficiency as a critical reader
- Time available for test preparation is shorter than the time available for scoring it.
- Evaluating complex or controversial areas of a subject.
- Learner’s are expected to apply the acquired knowledge to novel situations