2d v). Explain some of the considerations to be made by the learner in the discussion method.
They have to consider the following before and during the discussion
- The learners should do extensive reading on the topic prior to discussion.
- Speakers should be acknowledged by either the group leader (small group discussion) or by the teacher (whole class discussion) before speaking.
- Contributors should speak clearly so that everyone can hear,
- Questions raised should be worded carefully and clearly,
- The learners should be creators rather than passive receivers of ideas.
- Statements/comments made should be related to the problem under discussion.
- The group leader should ensure that every group member is encouraged to participate in the discussion,
- The chairman/group leader should listen carefully and record the < findings of the group and then report the results to the whole class.
- The rest of the class should give comments/add extra information if need be,
- There should be no monopolization in the discussion.
- Statements, ideas and arguments should be supported by facts.
- Learners should respect the views and opinions of their colleagues.
- Learners should react to the problems under discussion, suggest solutions arid draw conclusions.