2d iii). Explain the importance of the discussion method
Importance of discussion
Discussion technique is important in the teaching and learning of history because it:
- Stimulates learners’ mental activity, thus leading to a lively discussion
- Develops fluency in expression which is necessary in learning and in adult life,
- Encourages learners to discover information for themselves and trains in the presentation of ideas and facts,
- Permits social learning through interaction,
- Develops critical thinking among the learners,
- Develops leadership qualities among the learners, because it gives them a chance to lead a group,
- Facilitates retention of material learnt.
- Develops team spirit as learners work as a team,
- Helps in clarifying issues,
- Trains learners to be tolerant and respect other peoples’ views and ideas.
- Trains the learners to be responsible both in school and in the outside world.