3 f v). Explain the limitations of using films in the teaching of History and Government.
In deciding to use films, the teacher should be aware of their limitations such as the following.
- Some films can give learners incorrect notions.
- At times learners treat films as entertainment rather than learning features
- Films may emphasize elements, that should not be emphasized in the
- Films are not very adaptable because it is difficult to excerpt what is wanted or to skip what is irrelevant.
- They are difficult to get and to show when they are required.
- They require special provision for projection
- They take up a fair amount of time, thought and money.
- Sometimes the language used is not to the level of the learners, As such, learners do not comprehend what they are portraying.
- Use of films disadvantages students with problems of hearing and seeing.
- They need a specialized (technical) skill for effective utilization which many teachers do not have.
- In case of failure they can cause a certain amount of embarrassment and confusion.