2f ii). Examine the purpose of role playing in the teaching of History and Government.
Purpose of role-playing
Role-play has these purposes:
- It helps people see a situation through other peoples’ point of view.
- It prepares learners to fit in different situations in life as they play different roles,
- It helps in clarifying and demonstrating attitudes and concepts,
- It deepens understanding of social situations.
- It helps in planning and trying out strategic for attacking problems.
- It helps in testing out hypothetical solutions to problems,
- Learners are able to practice leadership skills,
- It heightens motivation in learning as the roles played excite both the participants and the audience.
- It exposes the learners to certain experiences, which are useful in the development of some historical concepts, thus making these concepts alive in the thinking of the participants,
- It helps in developing hidden talents of learners that are not nurtured by other teaching procedures,