3 f iv).State the significance of audio visual materials in the teaching process.
The materials included in this group are: films, televisions, videos and sound slides. Use of audio-visual materials in History and Government teaching is very important because they:
- Extend human perception by revealing the remote, the inaccessible, the invisible and the inaudible to the learners
- Bring the outside world with its differing cultures to a history classroom more vividly than any other means under the teacher’s control. This arouses interest in history learning.
- Stimulate thinking among the learners and change their attitudes by providing another dimension to learners1 view of reality.
- Summarize information by allowing time lapse photography so that an event which took many years can be shown in few hours e.g. the first world war.
- Clarify new terms and concepts and act as a spring board for further discussion.