2c vi). Explain guidelines which can be followed by teachers when dealing with learner’s questions.
The following are guidelines, which can be utilized when dealing with learners’ questions:
- Show pleasure and appreciate learners’ efforts when they ask if questions.
- Treat students’ questions with respect,
- Consider all questions no matter how silly they may be.
- If possible ask a series of sequential questions using the students’ knowledge and experience to lead them in finding answers themselves. ‘
- Sometimes use a series of linked questions to get me answer another student(s).
- If the answer is simple and obvious, get it quickly from the other students.
- If it is obvious that the student’s question springs from lack of understanding of what has been taught, when possible use chalkboard sketches, diagrams, objects, models or actions while answering
- If the question is irrelevant, you can do any of the following:
Tell the student you will answer it outside class.
Use it as the basis for a new lesson if the point it deals with comes immediately after that lesson,
If it touches on a topic to be covered, Promise to handle when dealing with the topic in question,
- Dismiss rude or useless questions
- For some questions, give the student reference material to read to find the answer, Encourage, the students to ask questions that challenge the next or other students’ statements,
- Avoid allowing particular learners to dominate ‘n answering questions.
- If you do not know the answer to a learner’s question, you should say so and promise to find out the answer. The promise should be kept.