3a iv). Explain the criteria for a good textbook?
Criteria for a good textbook
In selecting a history and government textbook the teacher should be by the following criteria.
- The textbook should be relevant to curriculum objectives of History and Government,
- It should have relevant and accurate information. This calls for authenticity and competency of the writer: Is the author an authority in history? What is the writer’s background? Has one given a scholarly presentation of historical information giving both points of view on controversial issues? Is the information true and up-to-date?
- It should have maximum content coverage as per syllabus that is free from bias, controversy and with concepts explained clearly with sufficient details,
- It must be properly arranged with an information table of contents, glossary, complete and detailed index and bibliography, which are important for all ages of students.
- Subject matter should be divided in proper chapters or units following a chronological order making it easier for classroom use. it must also have headings and summaries
- The language used should be suitable in relation to the class to be taught. It should be suitable in style, vocabulary and. sentence construction (simple and short), it should also explain a variety of meanings for technical or historical terms,
- It should be an attractive and stimulating book, including devices that aid past learning such as illustrations and maps to avoid monotony of print. The illustrations such as pictures, sketches, maps, diagrams and time charts should be correct, authentic, purposeful and appropriately placed in the textbook with proper size and suitably captioned.
- The print should be clear and easy to read, the typeface pleasing with enough spacing between words, line and paragraphs, The paper should be good and the binding strong.
- It must provide a variety of thought-provoking activities and exercises for the learners at the end of each chapter, These activities and exercises should be appropriate for both gifted and slow learners promoting the spirit of inquiry and motivation For further study.
- The price must be affordable.