3b v). Examine the various limitations of collateral material.
Limitations of collateral material
Collateral materials are limited in a number of ways:
- Lack of objectivity; Most of the information obtained from the newspapers, reviews and magazines on controversial matters is influenced by personal or group interests. They can give wrong information to students if they rely so much on them,
- They are not durable because they can easily be destroyed if not handled well.
- Magazines and newspapers give emphasis to immediate news.
- Some collateral materials e.g. journals do not report daily events and so they are not up-to-date,
- Some collateral materials e.g. journals, magazines and newspapers are expensive and this calls for limited readership.