3e iv).Explain the importance of resource persons in the teaching and learning of History and Government.
A resource person is anybody who can supply learners with useful information not available. The person could be either a professional or a non-professional. Examples of resource people are: civic leaders, government officers, village elders, religious leaders, and war veterans, fellow teachers in the school students, parents, craftsmen, and blacksmiths.
How a teacher can make use of a resource person.
- Identify the resource person.
- Invite the resource person through the head teacher.
- Inform the resource person about what you intend to teach together with the level of the learners.
- Prepare the learners for the talk from the resource person by informing them of the topic.
- Inform the other teachers in case the discussion takes more time.
- A teacher can use a resource person if he/she doubts to teach a certain topic.
- A resource person can even teach during field trips
Importance/advantages of resource persons in History and Government teaching and learning
Resource persons are useful sources of history because of a number of reasons:
- New life is breathed in the subject (history) when learners get firsthand experience direct from the source.
- They inspire learners by making them identify with national and international speakers or with the issues that they have presented.
- Resource people influence the future careers of the students. After getting a lecture from prominent persons, the learners may aspire to be like those persons.
- Use of resource people motivates the learners to learn with the hope that the resource person has something special to offer.
- They provide new information to the learners and teachers which might not be available in history books.
- They provide interaction between the school and the wider community preparing the child for life.
Disadvantages of using a resource person
- If not guided, the person may deviate from the topic
- Inviting a resource person may interfere with the school program
- It is time-consuming
- It is expensive
- Failure of the resource person to turn up may demotivate the pupils
- They may at times give the gloomy pictures of their profession e.g doctors
- They are not teachers so may be unable to handle the class well and deliver the content.