1 a iv).Highlight the importance of studying history
- It welds the society together by creating a spirit of togetherness and interdependence among people who have a common goal and interest.
- It helps to modify and improve the society by pointing out weaknesses and strengths of peoples’ activities.
- History teaches us what man has done and thus what man is.
- It gives people a sense of identity by informing and giving them direction e.g. who they are, where they came from and why they are found where they are.
- It educates humanity on the world citizenship leading to international cooperation and interdependence among nations.
- It is the story of our present environment that is, its origin, evolution, and development,
- It enlightens us on our rich cultural heritage and that of the wider community.
- History transmits unique concepts such as nationalism, patriotism, democracy, and civilization.
The foregoing shows the value of history in education that, its knowledge equips one for life and a better understanding of the world.