2b i).Explain story telling as a method of teaching history and its importance.
Story-Telling / Narrative
It is one of the most suitable and important methods of teaching history because it:
- Presents to the learners clear, vivid, interesting and orderly sequences of events. Through this, the learners visualize these events the way they happened.
- Helps to stimulate the learners’ imagination.
- Helps in enhancing the interest of the learners in history,
- Is good for character formation when students emulate the characters of great heroes in the story. Provides an opportunity to bring closer and makes real to the learners the country’s or society’s activities, contributions and values both modern and past,
- Helps in emotional development of learners as they begin to appreciate what others have done in the society or even to sympathize with them.
- is a source of enjoyment,