1 a v).The definition of government
The following are some definitions of the term “Government”.
- The authoritative direction and restrain, exercised over the actions of men in communities, societies and states; the direction of the affairs of a state; political rule and administration. (American Dictionary)
- A group of individuals sharing a defined responsibility for exercising power (International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences: 1968).
- The political and administrative hierarchy of organized state (Political Science Dictionary: 1973).
- The exercise of influence and control through law and coercion over a particular group of people formed into a state. (Dictionary of Political Thought: 1982)
- The act of ruling, a continuous exercise of authority over the fictionof subjects or inferiors; authoritative direction or regulation; centralrule (Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition: 1989).
- The institutions and processes by which groups and states are regulated(Olumwullah, in William, R. Ochieng: 1990),
- A ruling or managing, central system governing, the body of people authorized to administer the laws or to govern a state (Concise Dictionary: 1991).
- The political system by which a ratio of a community is administered or regulated. (The New Encyclopedia Britannica. Vol. 5: 1993). The main features emerging from the above definitions on government are;
-Authority, control and power over people.
– People who exercise authority and power.
– People who are ruled or governed.
– Ruling institutions and processes.
As a subject, the term government can be understood as the study of the political and administrative structure (Legislative, executive and judiciary) of a given state or states.