5a iv).Examine how chalkboards and non projected materials can be used effectively in the teaching of Religious Education.
Non-Projected (Graphic Materials)
Chalkboard is the most useful and versatile of the visual aids at the disposal of an R.E
instructor. It is irreplaceable and indispensable resource in teaching and learning.
According to J.e. Aggarwal (1982), it is the oldest and the best friend of the teacher.
How to use the chalkboard in R.E teaching
For effective use of the chalkboard the teacher should:
- Ensure the chalkboard is clean before using it.
- Partition the chalkboard into three sections if the size allows: use the left hand column for new words/concepts/terms and any of those unexpected needs that occur in most lessons; use the central column for planned summary, main points of the lesson, record structure of the lesson. ; keep the right hand column for sketches and diagrams.
- Write titles in capital letters in the middle top part of the chalkboard and underline them.
- Start writing from the top left corner and proceed to the right.
- Write straight and parallel (horizontal) to the chalkboard.
- Leave ample margins on both sides of the chalkboard.
- Write legibly and visibly.
- Give adequate and uniform spacing between the words and lines.
- Maintain uniformity in writing style and size so that the material to be emphasized
- Make sure that any work appearing on the chalkboard is clear, clean, neat, orderly,
relevant, true and of correct spelling. This improves the impact of presentation.
- Do not block what you have written, stand out of the way.
- Draw learners’ attention on what you write on the chalkboard and allow time for
them to transfer information in their notebooks before erasing.
- Use color, underlining and encircling for emphasize.
- ensure that maps, charts, diagrams and all other works appearing on the chalkboard are simple and easy to follow.
- Erase material no longer needed to avoid confusing students with cluttered work.
- Do not use the lowest part of the chalkboard as the work cannot be seen from the
back of the class.
- Ensure that the chalkboard is serviced periodically.