6a vi). Explain the use of the tape-recorder in teaching and learning
The Tape Recorder
A tape recorder could be defined as a device used to record speech, music, etc. on electromagnetic tape. It is a very useful tool in HIV / AIDS communication because it can be used and reused over and over again; it is easy to operate e.g. to tape record, to start, edit and to erase; it has high fidelity and lastly it adds authenticity and reality by bringing the actual person under study to the learners.
Use of tape-recorder in teaching and learning
- Tape recorders could be used during interviews with health workers, people infected and affected by HIV / AIDS or on drugs, sermons, moral teachings, crusades e.t.c.
- Speeches: It could be used to record live speeches by the president(s), members of health, director of medical services during HIV / AIDS day. The teacher could also record audio cued (already recorded) speeches replayed through the radio and television programmes, e.g. speeches by President Arap Moi, when he declared AIDS a national disaster and by Mwai Kibaki when he launched the war against HIV / AIDS during which religious leaders and youth heads committed themselves to fight the scourge with more vigour and fervour.
- The tape recorder could be used to record a debate/discussion by a group of students on important matters from a selected theme/topic, e.g. a topic like cultural factors promoting the spread of HIV / AIDS, the learners could debate on the importance of HIV / AIDS free society. The discussion could then be replayed to the same group or another group of learners for evaluation. The teacher could also make use of relevant debates in radio/television programmes by taping and replaying them in class.
- Dramatization/role play could be organized with students could act a play on some roles played by some personalities in the country and prevention of HIV / AIDS, child abuse ,crime, corruption and drug abuse. The voices could then be recorded and replayed back to the students for further discussion on the topic.
- Tape recorded can be used by a teacher intending to be absent from school due to some reasons. The lesson could be recorded and lesson arrangements made for the lessons to be replayed to the students during the time of absence.