Communication process and learning
1a iv). Explain some of the barriers to effective classroom communication.
1.4.6 Barriers to effective classroom communication
Broadly speaking barriers can be categorized into three namely:
- Physical or environmental
Specifically, the barriers to effective classroom communication are:
- Age difference
- Lesson preparation
- Over emphasis of the cognitive domain
- Class management
- Teaching strategies
- Socio economic status
- Attitudes and motivation
- Think back on a learning situation you have been in. Identify as many of the sources of interference as you can. Briefly, indicate how would reduce the distortion caused by each source
- Driscoll M J (1994). Psychology of Learning for instruction Boston. Allyn & Bacon.
- Hamachek Don E. (1979). Psychology in Teaching, Learning and Growth. (2nd edition). Boston Allyn and Bacon.
- Mayer R.e. (1982). Learning. In H E Mitzel (ed). Encyclopaedia of Education Research (p.1040-1058) New York Free Press