COMMUNITY LEARNING RESOURCES
7b i). Name some of the advantage and disadvantages of using community learning resources.
7.9 Advantages of using community resources
The uses of community resources are several. The important advantages are:-
- The use of community resources localizes the instruction and enables the teacher use pupil experiences to give relevant education.
- The use of community resources enables the learners to translate theory into practice.
- The use of community resources can enable the teacher to give concrete assignment or project at a very low cost.
7.10 Disadvantages/Limitations of using community resources
Most schools face problems in using community resources because:-
- Most of the primary schools (even secondary) are overcrowded. It is therefore difficult for the teacher to organize trips, he, therefore, tends to drill and encourage memorization.
- There is very little exchange of ideas and activities between primary schools and their surrounding communities.
- The use of community resources requires time. Due to examination pressure and urge to cover the syllabus, the use of community resources is neglected.