EFFICIENCY AND EQUITY IN EDUCATION
5a iii). Examine the obstacles of Educational Efficiency
Obstacles to Educational Efficiency
- Wastage: Drop out and repetition. These could be due to; a) economic difficulties and b). Low quality of education
- Teacher salaries. Consume about 90% of the education budget. However, if teachers are well paid, the system enjoys both internal and external efficiency and vice-versa.
Ways of boosting efficiency
- Revise school calendar-avoid long holidays
- Utilize new technologies, e.g. e-learning.
- Make education an economic undertaking, i.e. commercial/privatized education
- Equity in educational finance and distribution at all levels
- Locate educational institutions appropriately