THE EXCEPTIONAL LEARNER
11 a iii). Provide a detailed classification of exceptional children as per the educational curriculum
Classification of exceptional children
The gifted and talented
Who are the gifted?
There is no agreement about what constitutes a gifted student one reason being that individuals can have many gifts. The general consensus is that the gifted learners are those with:
- Above average general ability
- High level of creativity
- High level of task commitment or motivation to achieve in certain areas There are other characteristics that distinguish the gifted learners from other children. These are:
- They are larger, stronger and healthier than the norm group
- They achieved developmental milestones earlier than the norm group i.e. they talk 3 ½ earlier, walk earlier, they learn to read before age six, they master school subjects two classes beyond their age level.
- They have great curiosity and good memory.
- They are more emotionally stable than their peers.
- As adults they are better adjusted than the average person.