5a iv). List some of the advantages and criticisms of the broad fields of design.
Advantage of Broad Fields Design
The advocates of broad-fields design argue that;
- It is based on separate subjects, so it provides for an orderly and systematic exposure to the cultural heritage.
- It integrates separate subjects into a single course. This enables learners to see the relationship among various elements in the curriculum.
- It saves time on the school timetable.
- Prepares a student for self-reliance and survival skills.
Criticisms of Broad fields Design
Opponents of broad-fields curriculum design claim that;
- It lacks depth and cultivates shallowness.
- It provides only bits and pieces of information from a variety of subjects.
- It does not account for psychological organization by which learning takes place