7a ii). Discuss some of the goals of primary teacher education
Pre-Service Teacher Education Primary
Goals of primary teacher education as contained in various government documents are as follows:
- To develop the basic theoretical and practical knowledge about the teaching professions so that the teachers’ attitude and ability can be turned towards professional commitment and competence.
- To develop in the teacher the ability to communicate effectively.
- Bearing in mind the child as the centre for education, teacher education should prepare teachers who can:-
- Provide suitable learning opportunities
- Develop the child’s communication skills
- Develop individual child’s potential abilities to their maximum efforts through a variety of creative learning experience
- Develop a child’s sense of citizenship and national attitude
- Develop the child’s ability in critical and imaginative thinking, problem solving and self-expression
- Develop positive attitudes to the moral and religious values of the community
- To create a national consciousness for educational excellence in every teacher.
- To provide opportunities to develop special interests and skills and to promote initiative in the teacher.
- To develop in the teacher the ability to adapt to change and new situations.
- To develop an awareness and appreciation of innovation in the field of education and an ability to utilize them
- To develop an awareness of the principles and use these in their dealings with children and their community
- To promote national unity, national development and social equality
- To foster in the teacher an appreciation and respect for our rich and varied cultural heritage.