CATEGORIES OF PHILOSOPHIES
3a ii). Define the Aims of education according to different philosophies:
3.5 Philosophy and Targets Education.
Statements of aims, goals and objectives are not created in a vacuum. Philosophy influences or determines the aims goals and objectives of education of a country’s system of education. The philosophy advocated by a country influence the aims, goals and objectives of education.
Aims of education according to different philosophies:
(a) Aims of Education according to Idealism
Some of the aims of education which are recommended by idealism are:
- Self – realization.
- Spiritual development.
- Cultivation of moral values.
- Preparation for a holy life.
(b) Aims of Education according to Naturalism
Some of the aims of education which are recommended by naturalism are:
- Self – expression.
- Self – preservation. Education should acquaint an individual with the laws of health as a way of preserving himself.
- Development of individuality.
- Education according to the nature of the child.
(c) Aims of Education according to Pragmatism.
Some of the aims of education which are recommended by pragmatism are:
- All round development of a child.
- Continuous reconstruction of experiences.
- To produce socially efficient persons.
- Continuous growth.
- Personal and social adjustment.