4.8 Explain why we should integrate ICT in education
Why should we integrate ICT in education?
- To meet/match global trends. The world has become increasingly interconnected, as a result of the application of technologies to all sectors of development. Hence there is need to reconceptualise and restructure education so as to confront the technical challenges of this millennium(Toure:2008)
- To respond to present and future needs of people functioning in an intensely changing and challenging intellectual environment
- To educate by giving an appreciation of the scope and purpose of education for development and for a sustainable future
- To relate sustainable development to the school curriculum
- To gain skills using a wide range of interactive and learner centered teaching and learning strategies
- As an extra, rich and varied source of information for knowledge and comparison. It provides information and enriches critical thinking about emerging concepts of a sustainable development and future.
- As an additional and alternative source of professional development
- To match the rapid changes and expansion society faces in the way people acquire knowledge. Thus new teaching paradigms are acquired. those that tune educational systems to modern times and ensure quality training for large number of persons
- Use of ICT reduces class size as well as mitigate on staffing problems
- To shift from didactic “instructionism” to constructivism
- To enrich content and provide information in non –print modes thus varying teaching modes and developing experimental learner –centered learning strategies that encourage learners to:
- Analyze and interpret information in various forms such as texts, tables, diagrams and linked web site
- Apply ideas they develop to their own curriculum and teaching and learning contexts and practices
- Use navigational tools which facilitate choice of content-focus and sequence of their learning activities by providing multiple access points to information as well as multiple sources of information.